Thursday, January 1, 2009

Happy New Year!!

Happy 2009! I hope you all have a joyful year.

They say that eating black eyed peas on New Year's Day brings you good luck for the year. I have to tell ya - black eyed peas are not my favorite food. It's one of those things that I will eat - I just don't really care for them. I won't go out of my way to get them. But - I do like this recipe for Mississippi Caviar. It has lots of other stuff so it's not just plain ol' black eyed peas. This is good with tortilla chips, crackers or crostini (crispy toasted bread slices). You can add more spice by adding jalapeno peppers or diced green chilis. If you don't like any spice at all, you can use plain diced tomatoes.

Mississippi Caviar
2 15 oz cans black eyed peas, drained
1/2 cup diced green pepper
1/3 cup diced red onion
1 10 oz can Rotel (tomatoes and green chiles)
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1/2 cup Italian salad dressing

Mix all ingredients. Cover and chill for several hours. Serve with tortilla chips, crackers, crostini, etc.

No comments: