Friday, November 28, 2008

C'est Magnifique!

No sooner do we get through Thanksgiving that it's time to celebrate yet another food holiday. It's National French Toast Day! I don't know anybody who doesn't like French toast. Here are a couple of different French toast recipes for you to try. I hope you like them.

Amaretto French Toast
I think the original recipe for this came from a Bed and Breakfast cookbook I had years ago, but I don't remember for sure. Amaretto is an almond-flavored liquer. This would still be good without the Amaretto, but it adds something a little extra to it. I just buy those little airline size bottles since I don't drink it. I make this in my electric skillet so I can cook several pieces at once and we can all eat together.

3 eggs
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 tablespoon Amaretto
3/4 cup half and half
8 pieces thick-sliced French bread
1/4 cup slivered almonds
Butter for cooking

Beat eggs in a shallow dish. Whisk in almond extract, cinnamon, nutmeg, Amaretto and half and half. Melt about 1/2 tablespoon of butter in a nonstick skillet over medium heat. Dip the bread into the egg mixture one piece at a time, turning the bread once until the egg mixture barely soaks through each side. Cook in the skillet until browned on one side, about 2 - 3 minutes. Before flipping, sprinkle with almonds. Flip and cook until other side is golden brown. Serve with powdered sugar and maple syrup.

Susan's Baked French Toast
I got this recipe from my dear friend Susan. It's a recipe she used for years and she doesn't remember where it came from. In her house she makes this every Christmas morning. My husband remarked that this is really more like a bread pudding than traditional style French toast. You can make it up to the point of baking the night before and refrigerate, or even some time ahead and freeze.

I am putting the recipe here exactly how she gave it to me. After making it, I think my family's personal preference would be to cut down the amount of brown sugar and flavoring, as it is very, very sweet. Also, I used almond extract and I think I would have preferred vanilla. That's what I'm going to try next time.


2 cups light brown sugar
1 stick butter or margarine
4 tablespoons vanilla, hazelnut or almond extract, divided use
4 eggs
1 ¾ cups Half & Half or milk
1 loaf Italian or French bread cut into 1 inch thick slices
Cinnamon

Preheat oven to 375. Place brown sugar into 13x9 inch baking dish.

Melt butter or margarine in microwave. Blend brown sugar, melted butter and 2 tablespoons flavoring until it makes a glaze in the bottom of the baking dish. Whisk eggs, milk and remaining flavoring in a bowl until well blended. Dip each bread slice into egg mixture, soaking both sides.
Set bread slices on top of brown sugar mixture in baking dish. Sprinkle evenly with cinnamon to taste. (At this point you can refrigerate or freeze till ready to bake.)

Bake at 375 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. To serve, flip each slice of bread over so glazed side is up. Serve hot. Serves 6.

1 comment:

Susan said...

Just reading the recipe makes me want some! Can't wait till Christmas morning.