Monday, November 24, 2008

Goin' Nutty

Well shoot! Yesterday was National Cashew Day and I missed it! Oh well - better late than never. I have no idea where I got this recipe, but I know it's good. I hope you like it.

Caramel Cashew Blondies
18 caramels
1/3 cup butter
2 tablespoons milk
3/4 cup sugar
2 eggs
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup salted cashews

Preheat oven to 350. Butter a 9-inch square baking pan.

In a saucepan, cook and stir caramels, butter and milk over low heat until caramels are melted and mixture is smooth. Remove from heat; stir in sugar. Combine eggs and vanilla; stir into caramel mixture. Combine flour, baking powder and salt; stir into caramel mixture until blended. Fold in the cashews. Spread into a buttered 9-inch square baking pan. Bake at 350 for 24 - 28 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack and cut into bars.

1 comment:

Susan said...

Good grief, where are you finding all these national food days? I had no idea there are so many.