Thursday, November 20, 2008

Fun Food

Today's post is just going to be a quick one. Every week my son, my husband and I have "family night." That's one night a week where we do something together as a family like play games or watch a movie together. Not that we don't do those things any other time, but we have that to make sure we do something at least once a week. Another family night tradition is having a "fun food" for dinner. That translates into something my four-year-old thinks is "awesome." My son loves breakfast food and he loves peanut butter and banana sandwiches. So last night I decided to combine the two and created this fun recipe. It turned out really good. I'm going to try experimenting with different types of fillings later on.

I just kind of made this up as I went along so I don't have a true recipe with measurements and all that. Just base amounts on the number of sandwiches you want to make.

Peanut Butter and Banana Stuffed Crunchy French Toast
Cinnamon swirl bread (2 slices per sandwich) *
Peanut butter (smooth or chunky - your choice)
Sliced bananas **
Eggs (two eggs and about 1/4 cup milk will make four - five sandwiches)
Milk
Crushed cereal flakes***
Butter

Spread peanut butter on one side of each bread slice. Place sliced bananas on one piece of bread then top with another piece. You will have a sandwich with banana slices in the middle and peanut butter on both sides of the bananas. Beat eggs with milk. Dip sandwiches into egg mixture coating both sides of exposed bread. Dip each side of the coated sandwich in the cereal crumbs to coat. Melt butter on a nonstick griddle or skillet. Cook sandwiches untils golden brown on both sides. Serve with maple syrup, honey or jam.

*This would also be good with raisin bread or plain.

**You could try other types of fruit such as raisins or sliced apples.

***I used crushed Honey Bunches of Oats because that's what I had and I thought it would go well with the peanut butter and bananas. Any type of flake cereal would work - corn flakes, Frosted Flakes, etc.

2 comments:

LUCYG said...

wow, your new blog is fantastic! loads of great information. I will be back. if I ever decide to cook again. LOL

lucyg

Susan said...

Did all of you eat this or just Davin? I'm not sure this would be my thing. I never was one for mixing peanut butter with fruit unless it was in the form of jelly.Love the article on the knives and I think I will try your lemon bundt cake recipe. It sounds good!