Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Holiday Goodies: Fudge

When I was a kid my mom would make fudge from time to time - the old fashioned kind that you have to beat forever to get it to set up. I can't even imagine that. Sometimes it didn't really set up and she'd have to freeze it so we could eat it. While I like fudge, it's one of those things where a little goes a long way. It's soooo sweet and rich. I only make it at Christmas and give most of it away. Here are a couple of my favorite recipes - no beating required.

Five Pounds of Easy, Fabulous Fudge
This recipe is from a book called With Love from Your Kitchen, which I bought when I was in about the 7th grade. I think it was the first cookbook I ever bought. Since it was published in the 1970s a lot of the recipes are a little "dated", but I still love this one. It's not the cheapest fudge to make, but since it makes so much you can give little chocolate goody gifts to lots of your friends. A bonus with this recipe - no candy thermometer required.

3 (4 oz) bars German’s Sweet Chocolate, broken into pieces
1 12 oz package semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 7 oz jar marshmallow cream
4 ½ cups granulated sugar
1 13 oz can evaporated milk
2 tablespoons butter
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon vanilla
2 cups broken walnuts or pecans (optional)

Line a 9x13 pan with foil letting foil extend beyond edges of pan; butter foil generously. Place the broken chocolate bars, chocolate chips and marshmallow cream in the large bowl of an electric mixer. Combine sugar, evaporated milk, butter and salt in a heavy 3 – 4 quart saucepan. Bring to a boil over high heat, stirring constantly. Lower heat to medium and set a timer for 6 minutes. Keep the mixture boiling steadily and stir constantly to prevent scorching. At the end of six minutes, pour the hot mixture over the chocolate and marshmallow cream in the mixer bowl. Beat until chocolate is melted and ingredients are well blended. Beat in the vanilla and nuts, if using. Pour into the foil lined pan and let cool at room temperature for 24 hours. Use foil to lift cooled fudge out of pan. Cut into 1-inch pieces. Store at room temperature in an airtight container. Fudge may be stored in the refrigerator or frozen, but it will lose it’s gloss.

Peanut Butter Fudge
2 cups granulated sugar
2/3 cup evaporated milk
1 cup marshmallow cream
1 cup chunky peanut butter
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 teaspoon vanilla

Line a 9x9 pan with foil letting foil extend beyond edges of pan; butter generously. Combine sugar and evaporated milk in a heavy 2 quart saucepan. Stir over medium heat until sugar dissolves and mixture comes to a boil. Cook until a candy thermometer registers 234 degrees. Remove from heat. Quickly add remaining ingredients. Stir just until blended. Pour into prepared pan. Cool completely. Use foil to lift cooled fudge from pan. Cut into small pieces.

2 comments:

Susan said...

I bought my ingredients I need for making fudge last weekend. Sometime this week I plan on making chocolate and peanut butter. Peanut butter fudge is my favorite! Don't need it but I love it.

Anonymous said...

The fudge recipe sounds wonderful!