Friday, December 26, 2008

Pineapple Upside Down Cake

I hope everyone had a wonderful holiday with family and friends. I intended to post something on Christmas Eve and the day just got away from me. So a belated Merry Christmas to you all!

We had some friends over on Christmas Eve. I kept it simple - just appetizers that I bought at Sam's. I also made some pigs in an blanket with Little Smokies (just cut crescent rolls in thirds long ways, then wrap around the sausages. Bake at 375 for about 10 minutes or so). We also had seven layer Mexican dip that one of our friends brought. I just love that stuff. It's refried beans, sour cream, salsa, cheese, black olives, and green onions. I made my Spiced Apple Cranberry Cider and put out some of the cookies and candies that I had made over the last couple of weeks. It was a nice, relaxing evening.

On Christmas Day my aunt and her kids came over. We don't have any other family that lives close so it was just six of us. I did a somewhat non-traditional dinner. I just wasn't in the mood or turkey, ham or roast. I made fried chicken, mashed potatoes with cream gravy, hot rolls and a couple of vegetables. I guess it was good. Everyone (with the exception of my five-year-old) had at least two plates.

For dessert I made pineapple upside down cake - my all time favorite cake - and that is the recipe I am posting today. The basic recipe is from Kraft Foods, but I made a couple of changes because I like more of the pineapple topping and I prefer using crushed instead of slices. This is great with a scoop of vanilla ice cream. Enjoy!

Pineapple Upside Down Dream Cake
2 20 oz cans crushed pineapple in juice, undrained
1 1/2 cups brown sugar
3/4 cup butter, melted
Maraschino cherries, optional
1 box yellow or pineapple cake mix (I use the pineapple)
1 envelope Dream Whip whipped topping mix
4 eggs
1 cup cold water

Heat oven to 350. Mix melted butter and brown sugar in a 9x13 pan. Drain pineapple, reserving 2 tablespoons of juice. Pour drained pineapple over brown sugar and butter and spread evenly. If using the cherries, arrange them in the pineapple pushing down into the pineapple so they will show when the cake is turned upside down.

Mix cake mix, Dream Whip, eggs and water in a large mixer bowl. Beat on low speed for two minutes, then increase speed to medium and beat four more minutes. Spoon batter over pineapple in the pan, then spread evenly.

Bake at 350 for 50 - 55 minutes or until top springs back when touched in the center. Cool in pan for 10 minutes, then invert onto serving platter. Leave pan for 1 minute, then remove. Serve warm or cooled.

No comments: