Thursday, December 4, 2008

Holiday Goodies: Melt in Your Mouth Sugar Cookies

Today is National Cookie Day. It would also have been my dad's 65th birthday. He passed away last April and I'm missing him a lot today. So in honor of National Cookie Day and my daddy, I am posting a cookie recipe that he made often. Although I like regular rolled sugar cookies well enough, they aren't my favorite cookie, but these are awesome. I hope you like them too.

Grandpa Jerry’s Melt in Your Mouth Sugar Cookies
2 ¼ cups all-purpose flour
½ teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon cream of tartar
¼ teaspoon salt
½ cup butter, softened
½ cup confectioner’s sugar
½ cup granulated sugar
1 egg
½ cup vegetable oil
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 tablespoons sugar

Preheat oven to 350. In a small bowl, stir together flour, baking soda, cream of tartar and salt. In a larger mixer bowl, cream butter, confectioner’s sugar and ½ cup granulated sugar on medium speed for about 2 minutes or until creamy. Reduce speed to low. Add egg. Beat in vanilla and vegetable oil. Gradually stir in flour mixture just until blended, scraping bowl occasionally.

Place 2 tablespoons sugar into a shallow bowl. Roll dough into ¾ inch balls and place 2 inches apart on ungreased cookie sheets. Dip bottom of a glass or another item with a decorative surface into the sugar and use to flatten each ball into a 1 ½ inch round.

Bake at 350 for 10 – 11 minutes or until edges are golden. Cool on wire racks. Store cookies tightly covered.

1 comment:

Susan said...

I'm most certainly going to try this! It kind of sounds like one I have made in the past and if it is....your right...they are good! The one I make is a softer sugar cookie. Are these soft or more crunchy? I love sugar cookies!