Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Holiday Goodies: Peanut Brittle

Ooops - missed another day! It seems like the closer it gets to Christmas the busier I am becoming. It doesn't help that I have birthday and Christmas so close together. Yesterday after work I was busy, busy making some of my goodies for gifts. I made a batch of toffee and some chocolate dipped pretzels and peanut clusters. Tonight I had to bake some dinosaur cupcakes. Tomorrow is my son's actual birthday and he is taking cupcakes to school for all his friends. After I got those done, I did manage to make a batch of peanut brittle, which is the recipe I am posting today. My grandmother made peanut brittle for everyone for Christmas every year. I can't duplicate hers, but mine's pretty darn good! You will need a candy thermometer for this recipe.

Peanut Brittle
2 cups sugar
1 cup light corn syrup
1/2 cup water
1 cup butter (do not use margarine)
2 cups raw or roasted peanuts (I use roasted because I buy a big can to use for multiple goodies)
1 teaspoon baking soda

In a 3-quart saucepan combine sugar, corn syrup and water. Bring to a boil and stir in butter. Continue cooking until syrup reaches 280 (stir frequently after it reaches 230). Stir in peanuts. Stir constantly until syrup reaches 305 degrees. Remove from heat and quickly stir in soda. Pour onto two large cookie sheets. As candy cools, pull from edges with two forks to thin it out. Remove from pans as soon as candy has cooled completely and break into pieces. Store in an airtight container.

No comments: